Effective as of November 1, 2022
Table of Contents
- Personal Information We Collect
- How We Use Your Personal Information
- How We Share your Personal Information
- Your Choices
- Other sites, mobile applications and services
- Security practices
- International data transfers
- How to Contact Us
- Your California Privacy Rights
Personal Information We Collect
Information you provide to us. Personal information you provide to us through the Websites or otherwise includes:
- Contact information, such as your first and last name, email and mailing addresses, and phone number, and the name and contact information for your parent or legal guardian.
- Account information, such as your username and password that you use to create an account with us.
- Account profile information, such as your birthdate, photograph, interests (including post-secondary education and career interests), and preferences.
- Registration information, such as information that may be related to an event you register for.
- Feedback or correspondence, such as information you provide when you contact us with questions, feedback, or otherwise correspond with us online.
- Demographic Information, such as your city, state, country of residence, postal code, affiliated school, graduation year, schools applied to, and age.
- Transaction information, such as information about payments to and from you and other details of products or services you have purchased from us.
- Usage information, such as information about how you use the Websites and interact with us, including information associated with any content you upload to the Websites or otherwise submit to us, and information you provide when you use any interactive features of the Websites.
- Marketing information, such as your preferences for receiving communications about our activities, events, and publications, and details about how you engage with our communications.
Information we obtain from other third parties. We may receive personal information about you from third-party sources. For example, a business partner may share your contact information with us if you have expressed interest in learning specifically about our products or services, or the types of products or services we offer. We may obtain your personal information from other third parties, such as marketing partners, publicly available sources and data providers. We may also obtain your personal information from people who refer you.
Cookies and similar technologies.
We, our service providers, and our business partners may automatically log information about you, your computer or mobile device, and activity occurring on or through the Websites, including but not limited, your computer or mobile device operating system type and version number, manufacturer and model, device identifier, browser type, screen resolution, IP address, the website you visited before browsing to our Websites, general location information such as city, state or geographic area; information about your use of and actions on the Websites, such as pages or screens you viewed, how long you spent on a page or screen, navigation paths between pages or screens, information about your activity on a page or screen, access times, and length of access; and other personal information. Our service providers and business partners may collect this type of information over time and across third-party websites.
On our webpages, this information is collected using cookies, web beacons, and similar technologies, and our emails may also contain web beacons.
A “cookie” is a text file that websites send to a visitor’s computer or other Internet-connected device to uniquely identify the visitor’s browser or to store information or settings in the browser. A “web beacon,” also known as a pixel tag or clear GIF, is typically used to demonstrate that a webpage was accessed or that certain content was viewed, typically to measure the success of our marketing campaigns or engagement with our emails and to compile statistics about usage of our Websites.
Web browsers may offer users of our Websites the ability to disable receiving certain types of cookies; however, if cookies are disabled, some features or functionality of our Websites may not function correctly.
Users of the Websites may have the opportunity to refer friends or other contacts to us. If you are an existing user, you may only submit a referral if you have permission to provide the referral’s contact information to us so that we may contact them.
How We Use Your Personal Information
To operate the Websites. We use your personal information to:
- provide, operate and improve the Websites;
- provide information about our products and services;
- establish and maintain your user profile on the Websites;
- communicate with you about the Websites, including by sending you announcements, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- communicate with you about events or contests in which you participate;
- understand your needs and interests, and personalize your experience with the Websites and our communications;
- provide support and maintenance for the Websites; and
- to respond to your requests, questions and feedback.
For research and development. We analyze use of the Websites to analyze and improve the Websites and to develop new products and services, including by studying user demographics and use of the Websites.
To send you marketing and promotional communications. We may send you Company-related marketing communications as permitted by law. You will have the ability to opt-out of our marketing and promotional communications as described in the Opt out of marketing section below.
To display advertisements. We work with advertising partners to display contextual advertisements on the Websites.
To comply with law. We use your personal information as we believe necessary or appropriate to comply with applicable laws, lawful requests, and legal process, such as to respond to subpoenas or requests from government authorities.
For compliance, fraud prevention, and safety. We may use your personal information and disclose it to law enforcement, government authorities, and private parties as we believe necessary or appropriate to: (a) protect our, your or others’ rights, privacy, safety or property (including by making and defending legal claims); (b) enforce the terms and conditions that govern the Websites; and (c) protect, investigate and deter against fraudulent, harmful, unauthorized, unethical or illegal activity.
With your consent. In some cases, we may specifically ask for your consent to collect, use or share your personal information, such as when required by law.
To create anonymous, aggregated or de-identified data. We may create anonymous, aggregated or de-identified data from your personal information and other individuals whose personal information we collect. We make personal information into anonymous, aggregated or de-identified data by removing information that makes the data personally identifiable to you. We may use this anonymous, aggregated or de-identified data and share it with our business partners and other third parties for our lawful business purposes, including to analyze and improve the Websites and promote our business.
Cookies and similar technologies. In addition to the other uses included in this section, we may use the Cookies and similar technologies described above for the following purposes:
- Technical operation. To allow the technical operation of the Websites.
- Functionality. To enhance the performance and functionality of our services.
- Analytics. To help us understand user activity on the Websites, including which pages are most and least visited and how visitors move around the Websites, as well as user interactions with our emails. For example, we use Google Analytics for this purpose. To provide this service, Google Analytics may collect certain information about you from your computer using cookies. You can learn more about Google Analytics and how it collects and processes data by visiting: www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/. You can opt-out of the use of Google Analytics here: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en.
How We Share your Personal Information
- Business and marketing partners. We may share your personal information with third parties with whom we co-sponsor events, with whom we jointly offer products or services, or whose products or services may be of interest to you.
- Third-party platforms and social media networks. If you have enabled features or functionality that connect the Websites to a third-party platform or social media network (such as by logging in to the Websites using your account with the third-party, providing your API key or similar access token for the Websites to a third-party, or otherwise linking your account with the Websites to a third-party’s services), we may disclose the personal information that you authorized us to share. We do not control the third party’s use of your personal information.
- Professional advisors. We may disclose your personal information to professional advisors, such as lawyers, bankers, auditors and insurers, where necessary in the course of the professional services that they render to us.
- For compliance, fraud prevention and safety. We may share your personal information for the compliance, fraud prevention and safety purposes described above.
- Business transfers. We may sell, transfer or otherwise share some or all of our business or assets, including your personal information, in connection with a business transaction (or potential business transaction) such as a corporate divestiture, merger, consolidation, acquisition, reorganization or sale of assets, or in the event of bankruptcy or dissolution.
In this section, we describe the rights and choices available to all users.
Access or Update Your Information. If you have registered for an account with us, you may review and update certain personal information in your account profile by logging into the account.
Opt out of marketing communications. You may opt out of marketing-related emails by following the opt-out or unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of the email, or by contacting us at email@example.com. You may continue to receive service-related and other non-marketing emails.
Do Not Track. Some Internet browsers may be configured to send “Do Not Track” signals to the online services that you visit. We currently do not respond to “Do Not Track” signals. To find out more about “Do Not Track,” please visit http://www.allaboutdnt.com.
Declining to provide information. We need to collect personal information to provide certain services. If you do not provide the information we identify as required or mandatory, we may not be able to provide those services.
Other sites, mobile applications and services
The Websites may contain links to other websites, mobile applications, and other online services operated by third parties. These links are not an endorsement of, or representation that we are affiliated with, any third party. In addition, our content may be included on web pages or in mobile applications or online services that are not associated with us. We do not control third-party websites, mobile applications or online services, and we are not responsible for their actions. Other websites, mobile applications and services follow different rules regarding the collection, use and sharing of your personal information. We encourage you to read the privacy policies of the other websites, mobile applications and online services you use.
The security of your personal information is important to us. We employ a number of organizational, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the personal information we collect. However, security risk is inherent in all internet and information technologies and we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information.
International data transfers
We are headquartered in the United States and have service providers in other countries, and your personal information may be transferred to the United States or other locations outside of your state, province, or country where privacy laws may not be as protective as those in your state, province, or country.
As a general rule, children are not allowed to use the Websites, and we do not collect personal information from them. We define “children” as anyone under 13 years old. If we learn that we have collected personal information of a child without the consent of the child’s parent or guardian, we will delete it. We encourage parents with concerns to contact us.
How to Contact Us
Please direct any questions or comments about this Policy or privacy practices to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also write to us via postal mail at:
Attn: Legal – Privacy
152 W. 57th St. 19th Floor
New York, NY 10019
Your California Privacy Rights
Under California Civil Code section 1798.83, California residents are entitled to ask us for a notice identifying the categories of personal customer information which we share with our affiliates and/or third parties for marketing purposes, and providing contact information for such affiliates and/or third parties. If you are a California resident and would like a copy of this notice, please submit a written request to us via email at email@example.com or postal mail at: 152 W 57th Street, 19th Floor, New York NY 10019. You must put the statement “Your California Privacy Rights” in your request and include your name, street address, city, state, and ZIP code. We are not responsible for notices that are not labeled or sent properly, or do not have complete information.